Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Spaghetti Squash


I'm not a big fan of squash but I saw an episode of Diners Drive-in and Dives where a restaurant was serving half shell baked spaghetti squash and it looked amazing! So I took note of the ingredients and went to work making my own version with out beef or cow dairy. Incidentally it's gluten free as well!

Things you need

One whole spaghetti squash
One jar spaghetti sauce (I prefer Bella Vita)- preferably sugar free or you can make your own.
Ground Italian sausage- I use chicken sausage and take it out of the casing.
coconut oil
Salt and pepper
pine nuts

Ready set go!

Cute the squash in half length wise
Drizzle melted coconut oil (lightly!)
Salt and pepper the flesh
Pop in the oven at 375 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, while that's in the oven brown up your sausage in a medium sautee pan or wok. add the sauce to heat up.
pull out of the oven (careful it's hot!)
Fork out the flesh into the length of angel hair pasta and toss gently into the sauce.
pack back into the squash shells and top with pine nuts. Now place back into the oven until the the pine nuts are just starting to turn golden brown.

Pull it out and either serve in the shell (I cut in half as is and serve like that as a nice presentation) you can also just pass it around family style. This makes about 4-6 hearty servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment