Thursday, May 9, 2013

9 Reasons Why I Say NO to Soy

Since I am allergic to cows (including leather, beef, dairy, all cow by products) nearly every meal I make is dairy free. My kids have some cheese and yogurt, but my Karl and I are dairy free. A long time ago I used to use soy in everything, I really thought it was my healthiest option. A year and a half into our marriage while on birth control we conceived our oldest child, which was such a blessing and also perplexing. We learned 2 things from my Gynecologist 1) My body doesn't naturally produce enough progestrogen to maintain a pregnancy without medical help 2) the plant estrogen in soy mimicked the hormone enough in my body to mess around with my hormone tests when they did my blood draw to confirm the pregnancy. 
My OB recommended I avoid eating soy for the remainder of the pregnancy, once I hit the 2nd trimester and had stopped consuming soy products (they're practically in everything that's pre-made!) my hormones leveled out, and blood draws came back normal.
That was 7 years ago, we've been avoiding soy consumption as much as possible ever since. I have referenced 4 articles that support what my OB talked to us about 7 years ago. Here's 9 reasons why someone should consider avoiding soy products.



  1. Soy phytoestrogens disrupt endocrine function and have the potential to cause infertility and promote breast cancer in adult women. These phytoestrogens also cause hypothyroidism and possibly thyroid cancer.
  2. In infants, consumption of soy formula has been linked to autoimmune thyroid disease.
  3. Vitamin B12 in soy is not absorbed. Consumption of soy actually increases the body’s requirement for B12.
  4. Soy foods increase the body’s requirement for vitamin D. Toxic synthetic vitamin D2 is added to soy milk.
  5. Fragile proteins are damaged during the high temperature processing used to make soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein–often used in packaged foods and even the so-called “healthy” protein bars.
  6. Processing of soy protein results in the formation of toxic lysinoalanine and highly carcinogenic nitrosamines.
  7. Free glutamic acid or MSG, a potent neurotoxin, is formed during soy food processing and additional amounts are sometimes added to mask soy’s unpleasant taste.
  8. High levels of aluminum, toxic to the nervous system and kidneys, have been found in some soy foods.
  9. Soy foods such as soy cheese and ice cream, soy milk, and tofu are so processed that few pesticide residues remain; however, several very toxic pesticides are used to grow soybeans, and 90 percent of soybeans grown in the U.S. are GMO (genetically modified). In the only human feeding study ever published on genetically modified foods, seven volunteers ate Roundup-ready soybeans. These soybeans have herbicide-resistant genes inserted into them in order to survive being sprayed with otherwise deadly doses of Roundup herbicide. In three of the seven volunteers, the gene inserted into the soy transferred into the DNA of their intestinal bacteria, and continued to function long after they stopped eating the GM soy.

Karl and I use unsweetened coconut milk, coconut oil and coconut butter for all of our dairy replacement options. 
I hope some of you find this as enlightening as I did!



Sources:




If you are currently using a soy based protein powder and are looking for a Vegan, Soy Free, Organic, Non-gmo meal replacement read HERE and purchase HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment