Friday, July 19, 2013

Karl's commitment to fitness for the next 28 days - Day 1


I wasn't always a big guy, as a child, teen and young adult I lived-breathed-and died for basketball. When you eat like a teenager and stop playing ball like one it turns out... you gain 40 lbs in 2 months. Ouch. Then, add a broken hand, and a second child in and you gain another 20 lbs. OK so maybe you didn't gain 60 lbs but I did. 

In the last 4 months while adhering to the Slenderiiz program (you can read more about that HERE} I have lost 50 lbs, primarily by taking some quality supplements, incorporating clean eating at a 1250 calorie intake (more on days when I work out) and 20 minutes of light cardio 4 days a week. I have come to a point where I want to tone up my newly exposed muscles and gain the strength and agility back that I need in order to safely play basketball again. 

My friend Brock, who I have known since elementary school had killer results in his commitment to fitness where he blogged about reducing his body fat from 21% to 11% in 28 days by using the same supplements but a higher intensity work out regimen than my previous 20 minutes of light cardio. You can read about Brock's 28 days HERE.

Friday July 19th was my first of the Next 28 days, where I am committing to following the work out regimen I will be posting from Brock's blog as well as continuing to eat clean - we are dairy free, gluten free, sugar free, soy free, and low glycemic. This is the first time I have attempted intense work outs baring weight on my left hand that's had 2 reconstructive surgeries since a car wreck in October of 2010.
                           It is a lot easier to bare weight on my hand now that I'm 50 lbs lighter!
I really was intimidated by this work out routine because it pushes me to bare weight on my hand and use my lower back in ways that I haven't done since completing physical therapy. Did I mention I have degenerative disk disease? I have moderate to severe arthritis in my lower back at the ripe age of 32 years old. My doctor has been very frank in telling me that if I don't lose the weight around my belly than I'm going to end up having the back of a 90 year old by the time I am 40 years old.

I'm not a writer, or a body builder or a nutrition expert but I have been inspired. I want people to see that even if you have health issues, or insecurities there's no reason to settle and give in to accepting the weight, the lack of strength. I refuse to give in anymore, I will be healthy and I will be fit. You better believe I will be playing basketball again some day soon too.





                                           Incline Push-ups: 4 sets, 12-15 reps








My plan is to do 3 days of upper body/core followed by 2 days of lower body/core then a rest day from lifting but used for 40 minutes of cardio and day 7 will be stretching and some Yoga. -I've never tried Yoga before but Danielle's mom teaches it and we've been googling videos on You Tube to figure out what will work best for stretching out and strengthening my problem areas.

I have a huge support system between my wife, kids, friends at the gym, and the whole Next 28 Days contributors and audience and am looking forward to the remaining 27 days!

You can also follow my blog
posts at 
http://thenext28days.com/karl28

2 comments:

  1. Goodluck Karl! Im sure you will knock em dead!

    Splets

    Ps I would still own you on a bball court though :')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my back is ready, we will have to test that out!

      Delete